Applications are now open for the 2021 Program. Deadline is June 30, 2021. View the slides from our April 2021 webinar to learn more
Tracy S. Harris
Chief Financial Officer
- Tracy is Chief Financial Officer for the venture fund that invests in education technology companies for the University of Maryland Global Campus (UMUC).
- In its nascent stage, she developed the operational and financial infrastructure and crafted the economic and business strategy model, leading to the successful identification and investment in portfolio companies.
- She partnered with the CEO and Board to negotiate the sale of portfolio companies.
- The fund invests in early-stage to mid-size b2b and b2c companies in the education space.
Boards and Committees:
- Accomplished executive, board member, and advisor with over 20 years of broad financial and operational experience.
- District of Columbia Retirement Board, an $11 billion pension fund
- Chair, Audit Committee
- Member, Finance and Investment Committee and Nom/Gov Committee. As a member of these committees, she evaluates private equity, real estate, alternative assets, and international investments and monitors state and regulatory compliance, as well as portfolio performance and asset allocation.
- CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield and its subsidiary companies
- Member, Finance, Audit, and Governance Committees
- National Association of Corporate Directors Governance Fellow
- Growth-minded, highly ethical senior executive officer with extensive experience driving financial growth within complex private, public and not- for-profit environments.
- 20 years experience with financial services industry. Specific experience in banking, insurance and investments.
- Experience working in city, state and federal governments. Specific experience in project finance, federal contracting, public/private partnerships, consulting and outsourcing.
- CFO experience with green field technology startup operations, working in minimal funding environments with highly creative entrepreneurs.
- Additional experience working in the not-for-profit sector, with professional associations, universities and cultural organizations through board service.
- Over 15 years experience as a CFO, with operating knowledge in every aspect of finance, including financial management, budgeting, forecasting, regulatory compliance, audit, internal controls, financial reporting, debt management, capital planning, tax and accounting.
- Skilled in guiding organizations with annual operating budgets of over $250 million, assets of over $1 billion and staff of more than 500.
- Experienced in administrative management, policy and procedure development, human capital management, team building, and performance evaluation.
- Strong background in business banking, credit, insurance, and business modeling/project feasibility analysis and evaluation.
- Skilled in the development of marketing and financial information for investor, lender or rating agency presentations.
- Communications and crisis management; crafting, messaging and positioning information for boards, investors, donors, customers, and employees.
Key Business Transactional Experience:
- Sale of $45m business
- Financing $500M Convention Center
- Investment of $11B in pension assets
- Improved the building revenue through negotiating a $20M- 10-year lease of a portion of the building to GSA.
- Managed the planning and construction of the buildout
- Improved the P & L of the $35m portfolio business by developing a cloud-based delivery system.
- Multiple business financings $20-$150M in industrial development bonds
- Worked on the financial turnarounds of the city of Philadelphia and the District of Columbia as an SEC finance expert
What is the most important skill you bring to a corporate board?
- Tracy brings a diverse perspective, enthusiasm, and creativity to her role as a board director.
- Skilled financial expert who can immediately add value to a board of directors with skills and experience to serve on the audit, risk management or compensation committees.
- Strong analytical background and seasoned approach to addressing complex board-level issues in corporate governance, policy and long range strategic planning.
- Experience with technology based startups. Interest and desire to see innovative ideas and intellectual capital developed, funded, and implemented globally.
- Experience vetting investment opportunities, performing due diligence, deal negotiation and working alongside accounting and legal advisors.
- Strong understanding the impact of non-financial metrics and how they can foreshadow financial or operating issues.